Monday, August 03, 2009

VSSC Hillclimb - Prescott

Went to the VSCC 75th anniversary Hillclimb and did lots of sketches instead of the usual photos. I really enjoyed it - I'm definitely going to do some more. Highlight of the day was a brief ride on the Stanley Steam Car.

My favourite machines are the Specials - particularly the GN's. Unfeasibly large engines - sometimes from aeroplanes - bolted onto spindly cyclecars. They were the cars to have for hillclimbing in the 20's and 30's...
Thanks to Alan Cox I now know this is the Grannie Special...
The Thunderbug has a thumping great 4.3 litre V-Twin. There's a clip of it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsoQi7C0gs

This was a beautiful machine - with stunning details and patina. Wooden chassis, V8 aero engine, offset seating, stylish lettering - everything about it is perfect...

Mike Clark's Stanley steam car - the one I was lucky enough to go for a ride in. 70mph and almost silent - the perfect vehicle to mow someone down in...

I'm hoping this is a Brescia Bugatti - I'm not so good on my Bugatti models...

As I was saying - not sure of the model that this was in - perhaps someone could help fill in the details...

Whoever built this definitely had a Meccano set when they were younger. It looked fast and frightening, all in black with a huge 6 cylinder AC engine in the front. Here's a clip too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E007fxpW3X0


No comments: