Friday, August 28, 2009

How we used to drive

Here's a 1935 Studebaker Commander. I was looking for more old cars to draw and photograph and it turns out there's a huge collection only a mile from where I live. Unfortunately most are going to be sold at auction in a few weeks. I'm going to try to get back and do a few more before they leave.

This sketch was done at A3 instead of the usual A5. I'm not entirely happy with it. It took much longer to do and doesn't have the looseness of the smaller sketches. Perhaps I should have used an even bigger pencil...

2 comments:

Oscar Woodruff said...

Great sketches. I really appreciate that your compostions rely upon what you exclude as much as what you choose to draw on the page.

stefan marjoram said...

Thanks Oscar. I've nearly always left bits out of my drawings - I suppose it's like focusing on the interesting bit in a photo and leaving the rest blurry. Either that or it's laziness :)