Monday, April 06, 2009

Reverends, thousands of 'em

Here's a couple from the Mendips - I live on the edge of them. The first is the Rock of Ages - there's a song about it. The Rev. Toplady once sheltered there in a storm and later wrote the song. He was a bit dim I reckon as there's a perfectly huge cave just opposite. I'm afraid I didn't capture it very well and got bogged down in the detail. I'll have to try again some time...

In the woods nearby are the ruins of Mendip Lodge - built by Rev. Thomas Whalley in 1787. It was once a very grand Italianate house but sadly there's not much left of it now...

2 comments:

mmmmmmm said...

I hate looking at old buildings that have fallen to bits. I always want to fix them. I think its cos I'm addicted to diy. Maybe I should purchase a nice old cathedral one day. Ye know, one of them cheap ones.

stefan marjoram said...

Bit of polyfilla, slap some emulsion on, decking and a water feature... job's a good'un